Early settlementNeedhamn was first settled in 1680 with the purchase of a tract of land nmeasuring 4 miles (6.4 km) by 5 miles (8.0 km) from Chief Nehoiden for nthe sum of 10 pounds, 40 acres (160,000 mn2) of land, and 40 shillings worth of corn. It was officially incorporated in 1711. Originally part of the Dedham Grant, Needham split from Dedham and was named after the village of Needham Market in Suffolk, England, a neighbor of the English town of Dedham.n By the 1770s settlers in the western part of the town who had to traveln a long distance to the meeting house on what is now Central Avenue nsought to form a second nparishnin the town. Opposition to this desire created conflict, and in 1774 a nmysterious fire destroyed the extant meeting house. Some time afterwardsn the West Parish was formed.
Growth and industryIn 1857 the City of Boston began a project to fill in the Back Bay with landfill by filling the tidewater flats of the Charles River.n The fill to reclaim the bay from the water was obtained from Needham, nMassachusetts from the area of present-day Route 128. The firm of Goss nand Munson, railroad contractors, built 6 miles (9.7 km) of railroad nfrom Needham and their 35-car trains made 16 trips a day to Back Bay.n The filling of present-day Back Bay was completed by 1882; filling reached Kenmore Square in 1890, and finished in the Fens in 1900. The project was the largest of a number of land reclamation projects, beginning in 1820, which, over the course of time, more than doubled the size of the original Boston peninsula.
Courtesy of Wikipedia.com